Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A Bittersweet Answered Prayer

For as long as I can remember, I have felt very connected to people with special needs. It wasn't hard to figure out what I would be doing shortly after starting college. There has been so many students with special needs that have touched my heart. Even with my ability to fill this love through my work, I still feel that God is calling us to pursue something more permanent.
About a year ago, I came across a website that highlights international children with Down Syndrome waiting to be adopted. (http://reecesrainbow.org/) Every once in awhile, I browse the site to see those precious little faces. Prior to Christmas, I came across a very special little boy. His name was Brock and he stole my heart. One of the things that drew us to him was his resemblance to our little Nate. Even Tessa mistook a picture of Brock for her "Bubbas".
Since then, we have been praying and considering the possibility of adding this little guy to our family. We know God's timing is perfect, so we were going to research the steps and begin praying to make sure this is where God was leading us to serve. All along, I was also praying for Brock. I felt selfish to only pray that he be part of our family. God also laid on my heart to pray for the possibility that he be adopted by another loving family. And so I did. I prayed that no matter who the family be, Brock would get a loving family that cherished his little face enough to call him theirs. Today God answered that prayer.
It is hard to think of all the love and prayer I have poured into this little guy and not end up with the happy ending of taking him into my arms. But I am so happy that he DOES have someone to call his and someone who is anxiously waiting the same things I was. Viewing their blog, they look like a very special family and I couldn't be happier for them.
We will be following this family's journey as they bring this little muffin home. We can't wait to see what God has in store for the Mulkey family, along with what he has in store for us.

3 comments:

lmulkey said...

First of all, I must tell you that I said the same prayer for Brock before we decided to pursue adopting him; that if it was not Gods plan for me to bring him home, then please let someone love him and take him home! I must thank you with all of my heart for saying the same prayer. I can assure you that we all love him dearly and are ready to give him the life he deserves! I do hope that we keep in touch and please know your prayers for a smooth adoption are so appreciated. I will definately be praying that you find your starfish too! God Bless you and your family a million times!

Kameron Meyer said...

Oh, Reagan...what a sweet post and a sweet prayer from your precious heart. I'm so glad the Lord has linked you to these special needs kids...and now to the Mulkey family and Brock, through prayer! I love your heart so much and will be praying for you. We love you.

Becky Kerger said...

I have watched you heart grow in love, kindness and compassion for Gods little ones since you were a little girl. I have no doubt there will be a child, in His timing for your family that needs to become a Turley in his/her forever home. My prayers continue for you all as He designs your family and molds you to be more like Him everyday. I love you...Mom...Grammy